MAY 24TH 2008 - First movement

Great news! Tammy felt you move today for the first time! What were you doing? Changing position? Stretching? Sneezing?
It was Tammy's birthday today and Mark treated her to a day at a SPA. It was there, while she was relaxed and being pampered that she felt you kick. It will be a while yet before anyone else can feel those movements. I remember when I was pregnant and could feel Greg, or Mark, kicking, I would lay Finn's hand on my tummy and say, "There! Did you feel that?" I was always so frustrated when he said no.

Babies move about quite a lot in the womb and it always surprised me that Mark didn't sustain any fractures whilst he was curled up in that awkward position. Many babies with brittle bones fracture in uetro, some have dozens of fractures during delivery. Mark's was an easy birth with no fractures. He was a calm, happy baby and hardly ever cried.

We only found out that Mark had brittle bones when he was about 3 ½ months old. I broke his leg changing his nappy. When you change a baby's nappy you hold him up by his feet with one hand, slipping the clean nappy under him with the other. Between Mark and Greg I'd changed a couple of thousand nappies that way but then, one day, I lifted him by his feet and heard a loud crack. Mark screamed and wouldn't let me touch his feet. Even when I got him home and tried to bath him he screamed. When I held him against me he screamed even louder. I phoned the doctor who told me to bring him in the next morning.
The doctor examined Mark but couldn't find anything wrong with his feet and sent us home. He was a very unhappy baby for about three weeks and then he calmed down and seemed fine again.
When he was about 7 months old, he started rocking back and forth on hands and knees. One day he was rocking and then started screaming. He cried and screamed all afternoon. When I changed his nappy he went hysterical. I took him back to the doctor the next day and once again he couldn't find anything wrong with him. The crying continued for a couple of weeks and then he returned to normal again.
When he was 9 months he started pulling himself up against the furniture. One day he tried to pull himself up against the wall in the fireplace and there was a loud crack! He collapsed on the carpet screaming in agony. We didn't know it then but he had fractured his femur. It was only when he had X-rays taken that they discovered the fractured femur and two other healed fractures. I can't tell you what a shock it was.
So, at the age of 9 month and after 3 unexplained fractures, Mark was diagnosed with osteogenesis imperfecta - brittle bones.

I am really hoping and praying that you do not have the same disorder.
Take care little one,
Silly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAY 2017

AUGUST 2019

MAY - JUNE 2023