The Cast came off today


Hello little Em,
This morning your Mom and Dad put you into a large oval tub of water to soak off your cast. They thought it would take ages but they soon managed to unroll layers of the POP bandage. You loved it! You hit the water which splashed all over the lounge, onto the sideboard and even onto the sliding doors! Then they bundled your leg into a towel and took you to the Westville hospital to have the remainder taken off. Dr Fraser applied a fibreglass gutter splint from the knee down so that you are now able to bend your leg - and, Mom will be able to take it off and bath you. The splint stays on for 2 more weeks.
Everyone is so relieved to have the long leg cast off but now they will worry about how much freedom to give you. Should they allow you to crawl? Should they let you try to stand, pull yourself up against things? Its really scary because nobody wants to restrict your natural mobility but they also want to protect you from any further fractures.
In a two weeks time you will have the leg x-rayed and will be allowed to remove the splint. I wonder if you shouldn't have a splint made for the other leg as well so that when you try to crawl you have some protection for the bones? Mark had special plastic splints with hinges at the knees. The only problem was that he grew quickly and outgrew the splints within a few months.
It is my birthday today Em. I am 62 years old. I put a post on my Facebook that if you get married at the same age your mother got married, I'll be 90 years old at your wedding! I said that I'll wear purple! I don't like purple but if I'm around for your wedding, I'll wear purple!!
You were an angel today Em. Your Dad went back to work at lunch time and Mom went to do some shopping. You went to sleep in your pram at 1:30pm and slept for 2 hours. Even awake you don't cry, you don't niggle you are a sweet, smiley, happy baby and I love you to bits.
Silly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAY 2017

AUGUST 2019

MAY - JUNE 2023