6 MONTHS OLD!!!

Hello Little Em,
I can't believe that you'll be 6 months old tomorrow! From a skinny, jaundiced little babe you have grown into a beautiful, peaches and cream, happy little girl.
I have baby-sat you quite a bit in the last couple of weeks and you seem to recognize me now - especially if I sing the "Emily Ann" song to you. You laugh and you sing and you talk. On Monday at Patty's I put you to sleep and I also looked after you here while your Mom and Dad had a little rest. You played on the activity mat for nearly 45 minutes, sat in the Bumbo playing for another half an hour without a whimper. You are a perfect baby in every way.
Something unexpected happened last week. I went for a bone density scan the week before and when I went to see my doctor she told me that I have brittle bones! Not osteogeneis imperfecta like your Dad, but osteoporosis which causes bones to be fragile and brittle. It happens to lots of post-menopausal women but I didn't expect to have it myself.
The doctor was a bit perplexed - the way to manage brittle bones is to stop smoking (I haven't smoked for 30 years), to cut down on alcohol (I have never drank alcohol) reduce red meat consumption (I am a vegetarian) start weight bearing exercises like walking for 30 minutes a day (I walk every day - between 80km and 100km per week) and get more sunshine for Vitamin D. If I spend any more time in the sun I'll die of skin cancer rather that brittle bones!
When she read the results, she had a very serious look on her face and seemed almost reluctant to break the news. But, do you know what? I wasn't at all surprised. I don't know why - but I wasn't even upset.
Its a funny thing Em, but I remember saying before you were born that I would rather have brittle bones than have you born with brittle bones. Now isn't that strange? You don't have brittle bones but I do and everyone else is surprised by it!
On Tuesday I went for blood tests - the doctor wants to rule out any illness such as thyroid, lack of Calcium etc before prescribing a drug for me to take. In the meantime, I must keep on walking, getting sunshine, eating properly, lifting weights etc. I can still do my long hikes so I don't have to cancel my walk in June.
I'll be going away for 5 weeks and I am already missing you Em. You won't recognize me after 5 weeks away and you will also change a lot in 5 weeks.
Big hug and kiss little Em,
Silly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAY 2017

AUGUST 2019

MAY - JUNE 2023